It depends. A home-based business is like any other business and will require different insurance policies depending on the specific set of risks. Homeowners insurance will not cover everything, so you may need to consider:

  • Liability insurance to protects against accident and injury, especially if you have clients on site
  • Property insurance to cover specialize equipment that a regular homeowners’ insurance may not fully cover (like home office equipment or heavy machinery)
  • Professional liability insurance to protect yourself from claims of negligence or malpractice
  • Workers’ compensation insurance and/or home worker insurance if you have employees working for you