Insurance for Household Employees

Get a Quote

domestic employee insuranceIf you rely on any “full-time” domestic employees (which equals 16 hours/week or more, in Massachusetts), you need insurance coverage to address several unique exposures. Insurance for household employees is a necessary coverage even for those who maintain umbrella or personal excess liability policies. That’s because the risks employers face are different than those of private individuals. Your nanny or housekeeper could get injured on the job. Your personal chef could claim harassment or wrongful termination. The coverages listed below are designed to help in these and (many other) similar cases…

Workers’ Compensation Insurance for Household Employees

If an employee in your house is injured or becomes ill while on the job, workers’ comp insurance would step in to cover his or her medical bills and lost wages. Beyond being “nice to have” financially, this coverage is required by the state. In fact, failure to secure workers’ comp could result in hefty fines, according to

EPLI for Household Employees

For better or worse, employee lawsuits are on the rise–that includes claims made against homeowners who employ drivers, nannies, housekeepers, chefs, gardeners, etc. Employment practices liability insurance (EPLI) exists to hedge against claims related to harassment, wrongful termination, discrimination, defamation, invasion of privacy, breach of contract, and more. Even if you’re not in the wrong, the cost of defending such claims can add up quickly. EPLI ensures you’re protected.

More Info on Nanny Insurance

We receive lots of questions about nanny insurance — including, do I need a tax ID number? (You do, by the way.) What does this coverage cost? Can I share my nanny insurance with a neighbor, since our nanny cares for both sets of children? For answers to these questions and more, visit our blog on nanny insurance.

Meanwhile, don’t hesitate to contact our team (508.339.2951; with more specific questions about your household insurance needs.

  • High-Value Home Insurance
  • Homes that stand apart for their historical architecture, interior design, eco-friendly features, or overall value require specialty coverage.

  • Valuable Property Insurance
  • Whether it’s jewelry, art, or wine, we offer ample coverage, with flexible terms, for all your valuable possessions and collections.

  • Vacation Home Insurance
  • Owning multiple homes creates specialized insurance needs. Ask our experts to review your properties and coverage plans.

  • Personal Excess Liability Insurance
  • Protect the things you’ve worked so hard to build. Understand the different facets of personal excess liability.

  • Boat Insurance
  • Protect your sailboat, powerboat or luxury yacht with watercraft insurance that works proactively to ensure smooth sailing.